One of the standout features of Notion is the Gallery view, which allows you to showcase various visual elements such as images, recipes, mood boards and more. This handy tool presents your content in a grid format with individual cards that include preview pictures for easy browsing and file selection.
In this informative article, we will guide you through the process of adding pictures and maximizing the potential of this feature.
Adding a Gallery View
Galleries are a great way to present information in an attractive and user friendly manner. Below are three methods for adding a new gallery;
Option 1 – Creating a new gallery
- Start by clicking on “New Page.”
- Choose the team space or page where you would like to include your gallery.
- Give your gallery a name.
- In the “Add new” section, click on “More” and then select “Gallery.”
Option 2 – To create a gallery within a page
- Put your cursor on a new line and hit the forward slash key and type “gallery.”
- Click on “Gallery View,” or press “Enter.”
Option 3 – Adding gallery view to an existing database
- To proceed, click on the option “Add a view” or simply click on the name of the current view.
- From the menu, select “Gallery” and provide a name for it.
- Now, choose “Create” and your gallery will appear.
Adding Pictures in Your Gallery View
Now that you’ve successfully created your gallery, here are the steps to follow in order to add your pictures;
- Navigate to the Gallery View section.
- Locate and click on the name of your Gallery View, which can be found among the top tabs of your database.
- Once you’re on the Gallery View page, click on “Edit View.” This will open up settings for the view, allowing you to customize its appearance according to your preferences.
- Within the “Settings” menu, choose “Layout.”
- Opt for “Card Preview” as your preferred layout option. This allows you to configure what information is displayed for each card within your gallery.
- To include a cover or preview image for every card, simply select the page name and choose “Cover.” The preview will provide a glimpse of what’s included in each respective database page.
- After making these changes, take a moment to review how your gallery appears with its updated settings. You’ll now be able to see all the images you uploaded associated with each individual card. Feel free to browse through and enjoy your photo gallery.
Editing Your Gallery View Properties
Once you have set up your Gallery View, you have the option to modify its properties. Properties enable you to attach important data or information to your images. There is no restriction on the number of properties that can be associated with each image.
- Create a new card within the gallery and then click on “Add a property.”
- Provide a name for the property and select its desired “Type.”
- If you wish to duplicate or delete any existing property, simply click on the option icon located on the left hand side within the “Properties” menu.
Changing Your Card Preview
To modify a card preview, follow these steps;
- Click on the options menu.
- Select “Layout and Card Preview.”
You have the ability to choose which images appear in your gallery using these options;
- Your cover page; The chosen cover picture will be displayed on each page of your gallery.
- Your page content; The first image in the body of each gallery page will be shown in your gallery. If there is no image, a preview of the page’s contents will be displayed.
- Your files and media; Any uploaded pictures in your file property will be showcased in your gallery.
How to Position Your Pictures
There are different options for how you can choose to display your pictures;
- If you want your images to be shown fully within their card frames, go to the “Properties” section and select “Fit image.” This will ensure that your pictures are adjusted to fit perfectly within the frame.
- In case your picture doesn’t fit the way you want it to, you can disable the “Fit image” option and crop it accordingly.
To rearrange the order in which your cards appear, simply click, hold and drag them into the desired sequence.
Changing the Size of Your Gallery Cards
If you prefer, you can adjust the size of your cards to be larger, smaller or somewhere in between. Here’s what you need to do;
- Head over to the “Layout” section.
- Look for the option called “Card Size” and select it.
- Choose your desired size from the available options.
Grouping Your Cards
To organize your cards based on specific characteristics and customize your viewing experience, you can utilize the Gallery View feature. Here’s a simple guide on how to go about it;
1. Start by selecting the “Group” option located at the top of the interface.
2. From there, choose the property that best suits your needs. You have a wide range of options to select from, such as Relation, Number, Text, Person, Date, URL, Email, Checkbox, Phone, Formula, Created time, Created by, Last edited time and Last edited by.
3. Once you’ve selected a property type for grouping purposes, your cards will be automatically organized according to their respective property values.
4. If you wish to hide specific groups temporarily for better focus or organization of information in the view panel itself. Simply toggle the left toggle switch corresponding to each group.
5. Additionally, you also have the flexibility to choose which groups you want to highlight in order to draw attention or emphasize certain aspects of your cards.
6. Lastly, you can choose to click on “Hide empty groups” if you prefer not seeing any groups that currently have no content.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to effectively use Gallery View and tailor it according to your preferences for better organization and visualization of your cards.
View Cards Based on Criteria
If you want to view cards that meet criteria together here’s how you can do it;
1. Go to the top of your gallery view. Click on “Filter.”
2. Choose the property that you wish to use.
3. Pick from options, like “Does not contain” or “Contains.”
4. Select a tag for the property value you want to see.
5. You have the option to choose filters if needed.
6. To remove any filters simply click on the “X” icon, in the filter menu.
That’s all there is to it! Now you can easily see cards based on your desired criteria using these steps.
Arrange the Order Your Gallery Is Viewed
If you want to arrange your Gallery pictures in either ascending or descending order, you can achieve this by utilizing their properties. Here’s a simple guide;
- Go to the top of your gallery view and click on “Sort.”
- Choose the specific property by which you wish to sort your pictures.
- After selecting the property, opt for either “Ascending” or “Descending.” This will rearrange your gallery accordingly.
- Within the “Sort” menu, there are various sorting options available for selection.
- If you ever decide to remove a particular sorting method, just click on the “X” icon next to it in the sort menu.
Search for Anything in Your Gallery View
If you want to locate a particular item in your gallery view, you can follow these steps;
- Click on “Search” at the top and enter the word(s) you are looking for within any cards or properties.
- Your gallery will display all the cards linked to your word(s).
Share Your Gallery With a Link
If you want to share your gallery, you can use a link by following these steps;
- Look for the gallery options located at the top right.
- Click on “Copy link to view” and the link will be copied to your clipboard for easy sharing.
Arrange Your Collections Visually With Adding Pictures to Gallery View
Notion’s Gallery Views provide a convenient way to showcase your collections visually and dynamically. These galleries act as databases that you can personalize according to your needs. By doing so, you add a fantastic visual component to all of your collections.
Have you ever uploaded an image to your Gallery View on Notion? If you have, did you apply any of the helpful hints and techniques mentioned in this article? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.