There are numerous productivity and workspace applications available, but very few offer the same level of versatility as Notion. Notion allows you to customize it according to your needs, whether you’re looking for a simple note taking app or a comprehensive task management hub.
When it comes to organizing your projects and tasks in Notion, setting up due dates is crucial. However, what if you need to create a task that repeats regularly?
Regrettably, the platform lacks a built in feature for marking tasks as recurring. Fortunately, there is a workaround solution that you might find useful and we’ll guide you through the process.
How to Setup Recurring Tasks in Notion on a PC
If you want to set up tasks in Notion, it’s best to use your computer. It offers more convenience and allows you to easily rearrange items on the page using the cursor.
For tasks that need to be repeated regularly, a simple approach is to create a list called “Recurring Tasks” and tick them off one by one as they are completed.
However, please note that this process is not automated. You will have to manually reset the list once all tasks are done. The challenge with setting up recurring tasks in Notion is that you’ll need to come up with a formula that works, which requires some knowledge of coding.
It might be challenging for the average Notion user or maybe they simply don’t have the inclination to spend time figuring out and documenting the formula. But here’s some good news; other users who’ve faced a similar issue before have already developed recurring task templates that you can utilize.
Using a Recurring Task Template
To find a suitable recurring task template for Notion, you can browse the internet. There are numerous versions available, but for the purpose of this explanation, we’ll focus on one specific option and guide you through its implementation. Here’s what you need to do;
1. Open your web browser and log in to your Notion account.
2. In a separate tab, navigate to the Ultimate Tasks For Notion template.
3. At the top of the page, click on the Duplicate button.
4. This action will take you to your Notion workspace and open the Ultimate Tasks for Notion template.
You’ll find a calendar and several pre configured projects created by the template’s author. If needed, you can remove these projects by clicking on the three horizontal dots and selecting “Delete” from the drop down menu.
Now, if you want to create a recurring task using this template, simply select any date in your calendar and follow these instructions;
- When a new page pops up, name your task.
- You can enter additional information, such as a start date, due date, or even a sub-task.
- To make it a recurring task, click on the Recur Interval (Days) property and enter the number.
- You can add additional comments and press Enter to add the task to your calendar.
- The task will be created instantly, and it will have a “recurring” icon assigned to it. You will also be able to check the box when the task is completed.
How to Setup Recurring Tasks in Notion on an iPhone
Some Notion users prefer to work on their iPhones and run their tasks on the go. Notion has an excellent mobile app for iPhone, which offers a terrific user experience, even with some limitations. The Notion mobile app has the designated “Templates” button, but you can’t use it to integrate a template created by a third party. Instead, you can follow these steps:
- Using your iPhone mobile browser, open the Ultimate Tasks For Notion page to access the recurring task template.
- Select the Duplicate option located at the top of the screen.
- Your iPhone will automatically launch the Notion app. But if it gives you the option to choose between opening the app or continuing with the browser, be sure to select the app.
- The recurring task template will appear in your Notion app immediately.
From there, you can remove items and edit the layout, plus view and add elements you want. But to create the recurring task, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Tap on the calendar date.
- Enter the task’s name and other properties, such as starting date and priority level, or assign the task to another person.
- Next to Recur Interval (Days), enter the frequency at which the task should recur.
- Once you’re done, go back to the calendar and verify that the task has appeared in the calendar.
Keep in mind that you can delete the tasks once there’s no longer a need to repeat them.
How to Setup Recurring Tasks in Notion on an iPad
The Notion mobile app for iPad is the same in terms of features and possibilities as the iPhone app. The only notable difference is the layout due to the larger screen.
To grab and implement the recurring tasks template for iPad, you’ll go through the same steps as the iPhone users do:
To access the recurring task template for Notion on your iPad browser, follow these steps;
1. Open the Notion app on your iPad or select it if prompted.
2. Once in Notion, locate the Duplicate button situated in the top right corner of the screen.
3. Tap on the Duplicate button to proceed.
4. Next, you will be directed to the recurring task template within Notion. To create a new task, simply choose a date from the available calendar options.
5. Within this template, you’ll find various properties that you can customize for your task. These include naming the task, assigning it to a specific person and more.
6. If you wish to make this particular task recurring, there will be an option available for that as well.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to access and utilize the recurring task template in Notion through your iPad browser seamlessly.
- Next to the Recur Interval (Days) property, enter the frequency of the recurring task.
- Go back to the calendar and check if the task contains all the properties you’ve selected.
- Repeat as many times as necessary for different tasks.
How to Setup Recurring Tasks in Notion on an Android Phone
Android users have the option to download and use the latest version of the Notion mobile app while they are on the go. The Android app is just as efficient as its iOS counterpart, but it doesn’t include a built in recurring task feature.
Fortunately, there’s a way to ensure that you never miss a task on your schedule by using the same template. Here’s what you need to do;
1. Open your preferred browser app.
2. Go to the Notion template.
3. Click on the Duplicate button located at the top right corner of your screen.
4. If your Android device prompts you to choose between Chrome and the Notion app, select Notion.
5. The recurring task template will then appear in your Notion app.
6. Feel free to rearrange the existing elements according to your preference and decide whether you want to keep only the calendar.
If you want to set up a recurring task, start by selecting a date on the calendar, preferably the starting date and follow these steps;
Becoming the Task Master in Notion
Undoubtedly, when it comes to designing a productive workspace, Notion has considered most scenarios. However, managing tasks in Notion can get complicated, especially with larger teams where things can be easily overlooked.
To avoid the hassle of manually entering tasks on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, it is advisable to create recurring tasks. It may seem surprising that such a versatile app like Notion has yet to incorporate this feature, but that’s the current situation.
In this article, we have showcased one third party template that works well for many users. However, there are numerous other solutions available online.
What kinds of tasks would you like to set as recurring in your Notion app? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.